At the end of every SURF session, the fellows gather and present their research. The 2020 remote SURF experience was quite different. With summer researchers located around the world, it was impossible to completely replicate these culminating presentations over Zoom. Instead, the program coordinators tasked students with sharing their summer work in just 3 minutes.
Given the success of the SURF 3 Minute Research Talks, this project was extended to all members of the Amherst College community conducting research. Students engaging in research outside of Amherst and professors took the challenge of sharing nuanced research in an accessible manner in just three minutes.
Here are some of those videos, which concisely explain the research of the Amherst College community.
- Joanna Idrovo ‘23, SURF Carter Lab; How does the nucleosome core particle form?
- Ethan Spingarn ‘23, SURF Hanneke Lab; Lasers and Circuits and Complicated Experimental Procedures, oh my!
- Angelina Han ‘22, SURF Martini Lab; Authigenic Clays & Dolomite Formation
- Phyllis Oduor ‘23, SURF Trapani Lab; Understanding the role of lateral line in startle responses
- Calista Sha ‘23, SURF Marshall & Leung Lab; Quantum Mechanic Calculations for Microwave Microscopy
- Nathan Grove ‘23, SURF Jones Lab; Earthquake Preparedness and Indigenous Oral Traditions in the Pacific Northwest
- Autumn Lee ‘23, SURF Olshansky Lab; The Lifetime of Quantum Dots
- Abdullahi Mire ‘22, SURF Hansen Lab; Exploring Promising New Mechanisms of Drug Delivery
- Cailin Plunkett ‘23; SURF Follette Lab; The Accreting Objects Database
- Yaa Obeng ‘22, SURF Trapani Lab; Understanding the Function of Auditory Hair Cells in Zebrafish
- Dagim Belete ‘22, SURF Edwards Lab; Why look at Amoeba moving?
- Alison Weiss ‘23, SURF Hunter Lab; Designing a Phase Shifter to Scramble Molecular Dark States
- Chris Kang ‘22, SURF Roche Lab – BRP and RIM Interaction Research Proposal
- Sophie Koh ‘22, SURF Hall Lab – Designing a Wireless Environmental Monitoring System for a Bose-Einstein Condensate
- Esi Obeng ‘22, SURF O’Hara Lab; Exploring Chaperone Activity Through Alpha-B Crystallin
- Nick Govus ‘22, SURF Kaplan Lab; Computer Science Memory System
- Jonathan Paul ‘22, Peer Relationships Lab, Professor McQuade; Resilience in College Students
- Isabelle Caban ‘23, SURF Jones Lab; Fluvial Responses to Climate Shifts Through the Holocene
- Leo Xu ‘23, Zahra Shah ‘22, Katie Lingen ‘22, Malaika Kironde, SURF Contreras Group; Networks: Heat, Zombies, and Epidemics
- Lynn Fu ‘22, SURF Carter Lab- Histone Wrapping: How does a nucleosome core particle form?
- Danny Jeong ‘23, SURF O’Hara Lab; Molecular Library of Estrogen Receptor Ligands
- Esther Min ‘23, SURF Trapani Lab; Effects of Hair Cell Ablation on Startle Responses in Larval Zebrafish